Description: The Mission House is a 0.5-acre property in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. In the mid-1730s, the Mohicans living in Western Massachusetts allowed Rev. John Sergeant to live among them. Rev. Sergeant built the Mission House c.1742 to share with his wife, Abigail Williams, whom he married in 1739. The house stayed in Sergeant's family until 1870, after which it saw a number of different owners. In order to preserve this important piece of Stockbridge history, Mabel Choate, owner of the nearby Naumkeag, purchased the Mission House in 1927. The home was originally located on Prospect Hill, but Choate had it disassembled and moved to Main Street, where it was reassembled and restored. Choate then created the Mission House Association to run the house as a museum. She transferred ownership of the property to the association and the Mission House museum opened to the public in 1930, nearly 200 years after it was first built. The signficance of the Mission House's history, as well as the excellent stewardship provided by Choate and the Stockbridge Mission House Association, was recognized in 1968 when the site was designated a National Historic Landmark.
Date: Gift of the Stockbridge Mission House Association in 1948.